The One Tree philosophy incorporates Reggio Emilia and Steiner approaches to early education and care.
It is based on three principles:
1. Our image of the child.
- children are competent individuals and encourage them to follow their own curiosity, interests and capabilities; and
- it ‘takes a village to raise a child’ – this includes parents, family and the community.
2. Our environments.
- in up-cycling and recycling materials to support sustainability;
- local cultures should be reflected at our services; and
- our services should ‘feel like home’ to support each child’s sense of belonging.
3. Our programming and curriculum.
- that each child’s learning journey should be thoughtfully documented; and
- that parents and families should be given opportunity to influence the curriculum.
Our philosophy evolves in response to the staff, children, their families and the community’s needs.